Thursday, March 7, 2013

The Big Fish and Jonah




© Words and picture Jeannie St. John Taylor

The  big fish swam back and forth searching for food. Her tummy growled. “I’m hungry. I need a BIG

meal to fill my BIG belly,” she said.

Up above, the fish saw a splash and a strange creature floated down toward her. The fish drifted over to take a closer look, swimming in circles around it.

The creature opened its eyes wide and wiggled its arms and legs.

“That looks yummy,” thought the fish. “It’s bigger than a shrimp. It’s bigger than a lobster. It’s just the right size for my lunch.”

After making one more circle around her lunch, the fish opened her mouth wide and swallowed the whole creature in one gulp. She felt it wriggle all the way to her tummy. “Yum,” said the fish. She smiled. “Now it’s nap time.”

The fish sighed contentedly and closed her eyes to sleep. She could feel the creature squirming, but she knew that would stop soon. Then she heard a voice from way down inside her tummy. “God, this is Jonah,” the voice said. “Please help me!”

The fish’s eyes popped open.

“I’m so sorry I didn’t obey you,” Jonah said.

The fish’s tummy hurt. Just a little.

“I didn’t go to Ninevah, but I should have,” Jonah said. “I should always obey you.”

The fish’s tummy ached.

“Please make this fish spit me out,” Jonah prayed.

The fish pressed her lips together and dived to the bottom of the ocean to watch the octopus play. She knew she should let her lunch go, but she didn’t want to.

“If you get me out of here, I promise I’ll tell all the people about you,” Jonah said.

The fish really felt sick now. She moaned in pain. “Do I have food poisoning?”
 she wondered. But she wouldn’t spit out her lunch. She floated to the surface for a deep breath and swayed back and forth in the water, trying not to throw up. She got sicker and sicker.

Near the end of the third day, the fish spotted land. “I can’t stand any more pain,” she thought. “I think I’ll beach myself.” She swam over, gave one great push, and landed on the shore.

As soon as her tummy smacked the sand, she felt a big burp and the creature tumbled out onto the beach jumping around and praising the Lord. “I got myself into trouble and you got me out,” it shouted. “Thank you Lord.”

The next wave lifted the fish and swept her back into the sea. She didn’t feel sick any more. She whirled in a circle and slapped her tail on the water. “I ate a bad lunch and you got it out!” she said. “Thank you Lord.”

You can make many plans, but the Lord’s purpose will prevail. Proverbs 19:21 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment